Location: Central London
Job Ref: #OC080119
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer (COO), this person will be responsible for ensuring Hindawi remains at the forefront of publishing technology. This person will be responsible for evaluating emerging technologies in the scholarly communications space and maintaining a technology roadmap around innovations in article discovery and display.
This role will develop technology strategy and propose technical solutions to ensure:
- Researchers can find, cite, and share our authors’ articles
- com provides a fantastic reading experience
- Our authors’ research is accessible to the widest possible degree
- Our authors’ research is available in new formats and devices as they emerge
- Text miners, data miners, and machine learning tools have access to our journals
- Hindawi promotes FAIR data principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable)
- Our journals support the implementation of linked, persistent identifiers
- Our content is delivered to various repositories efficiently
The role will require an understanding of the research workflow and a mix of technical and creative skills.
The role holder will be expected to keep up to date with publishing industry standards around typesetting, XML, metadata, and persistent identifiers. The holder should demonstrate an interest in web technologies, including CSS, the web browser landscape, and associated layout technologies. The candidate should have a keen eye for product design and user experience, as well as an interest in graphic design.
Above all, this role should ensure scholarly communications takes advantage of all the internet offers, allowing newly published discoveries to reach a global audience of researchers rapidly. In developing solutions to accelerate the spread of research, this position will play a critical role in speeding up the pace of scientific discovery.
Their expertise in these areas will be used to create plans for implementing changes to Hindawi products or to propose integrations with third-party tools.
The role holder should expect travel to conferences and other Hindawi locations.
- Manage internal tools and third party products and relationships
- Create business plans for future innovation on operational tools
- Providing expertise on systems and processes, recommending improvements and new ways of working
- Project manage implementation of new systems and enhancements
- Creating and maintaining documentation relating to systems
- Answer queries from all Hindawi locations in relation to publishing technologies (e.g. XML, article metadata)
- Ensuring external vendors are using the systems correctly
- Ensuring content is delivered to relevant repositories
- Represent Hindawi in publisher-wide projects (e.g. Metadata 2020)
- Overseeing projects as new opportunities arise, and alongside developments in operations
- From time to time, you may attend conferences relevant to operations to represent Hindawi
Skills and experience
- 5 years experience of either production or editorial experience in an STM environment
- Knowledge of XML, metadata, publishing identifiers and standards
- Competitive salary
- Matching pension funding (4% of salary)
- Private medical and dental insurance
- Season ticket loan
Salary based on experience.
To apply for the position, please send your CV and cover letter, including salary expectations, notice period, and your motivation for working with us to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a continuous basis, so early applications are encouraged.Download PDF