What are Article Processing Charges?
Unlike traditional publishers, Open Access publishers – like Hindawi – do not generate revenue from selling subscriptions. Instead, we make all of our articles freely available. Like other Open Access publishers, Hindawi charges an Article Processing Charge (APC) once an article is accepted for publication. This charge helps to cover the costs of taking a manuscript and turning it into a finished article. For more information on the principles of Open Access and how they apply to Hindawi, please see ‘What is Open Access Publishing?’.
When a manuscript is submitted, it is processed through the many different departments at Hindawi:
- The Editorial Screening team, who perform initial technical and ethical checks.
- The Editorial team, who are responsible for coordinating the review process with the journal’s academic Editorial Board – see ‘peer review at Hindawi’ for more information.
- The Production team, who convert the manuscript to a professionally typeset article and a well-structured XML.
- The Proofing team, who coordinate the proofing process through Hindawi’s Online Proofing System (OPS).
- The Editorial Quality Assurance team, who perform a final check to ensure that the manuscript and its review process adhere to the journal’s guidelines and policies.
- The Indexing teams that liaise with all major index services – see ‘discovery matters: abstracting and indexing at Hindawi’ for more information.
- The Support teams, who answer any questions throughout the publishing process.
These teams work with our marketing, communications, and technical teams to ensure your article receives the attention it deserves. A portion of all APCs are reinvested into the technical systems that support these services; ensuring that the publishing process continues to be as easy as possible.
Hindawi is committed to making the costs of publishing as clear as possible. You will always be able to find the precise fee prior to publication. The charges are set out on the journal’s APC page, accessible via the ‘Article Processing Charges’ link that appears on every journal’s page on Hindawi.com. You can also view our full list of APCs by journal.
The actual amount payable as an APC varies depending on the journal in which you wish to publish your article. Some journals are more expensive to publish in due to the volume of submissions they receive. Journals in disciplines that commonly include more complicated elements – such as extensive equations or sophisticated figures – may also charge a higher APC to cover the extra time required to handle these manuscripts.
The type of article you wish to publish will also affect the chargeable APC. Short form articles, such as case reports, cost less to publish.
In some situations an APC may be discounted or paid on your behalf. If your institution is a member of the Hindawi Institutional Partnership program, your APC may be discounted by up to 100%. Speak to your institutional librarian if you are interested in this opportunity.
Hindawi also offers a waiver program for researchers working in certain countries. Your APC may be waived if you meet the eligibility requirements – see our waiver policy for more details.
APCs allow us to make your research freely available to all readers. We hope that this page has helped you understand them in more detail, but please do contact us with any questions you might have.